Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Colour Blindness - A theory

Colour blindness. Something that has puzzled me for many years of my short life! I'm sure it has puzzled my readers also. So here is my view on it. Now many people make the same mistake as me. They think that when you are colour blind that you simply see a different colour to what a normal sighted person sees. However my good albino friend Jack is unfortunately colour blind ( fortunately for me as its the source of many tight jokes!) Now jack can see some colours fine and he doesn't see different colours the only he cant differentiate between blue and purple and green and brown. He doesn't see red as blue or anything quite as extreme as that.

BUT

here's my theory. Now you gotta stick with this because its quite complicated but I'll try explain as best I can. When I started to learn about colours I asked what colour this was. Now I was told this colour was green. As I'm sure you were. But how do I know that I am seeing the same colour as you??? You see the problem. I see a colour and I was told that it was green. But you may bee seeing a different shade of completely different colour. You see all shades of green relative to the first colour you've seen. But because you cannot go into someone's eyes then I just don't know if I am seeing the same colour! I've tried to explain this to some of my mates and some get it better than others. I would be interested to see what you think so please leave a comment.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whatever!

December 15, 2004 at 11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was the 1st comment by sarah c?

December 15, 2004 at 5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did you guess?

December 18, 2004 at 7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home